Protection of R&D Achievements
Several basic steps have been selected for you for filing applications:
(in force until the new methodology pilot operation ends)
- Starting from the date when the Rector´s Decree No. 9/2018 came into force, the process can proceed in two ways
depending on who participated in the achievement.
- Notice of a research and development achievement:
- In the case that the achievement is a product of cooperation of more CTU parts, the following process applies: Download
Department for Technology Transfer website) the respective form for the employer´s notification of the achievement
pursuant to legislation. Read the form carefully and fill it in using the help available. Send the filled-in, unsigned form
by e-mail for consultation at: firstname.lastname@example.org - tel. +420 224 355 275 or +420 224 353 613.
Should you need some advice, you can contact Ms Ing. Hana Winklerová from the Department for Technology Transfer, who is in charge
of such notices and can help you fill in the form.
- In the case that the result is only a product of the Faculty of Civil Engineering, download (from the
Department for Technology Transfer website) the respective form for the employer´s notification of the achievement pursuant
to legislation. Read the form carefully and fill it in using the help available. Send the filled-in, unsigned form by e-mail for
consultation at: email@example.com.
- After the approval of its content, the notice is signed by the originators (including external ones), the Head of the respective Department
and the Vice-Dean for R&D, and delivered in case (a) to the R-Patent Centre, in case (b) to the FCE Department of Science and Research.
The employer (CTU/FCE) decides (within three months) on the acceptance of the intellectual property achievement to be administered by CTU,
and the originator will receive
In the case of non-acceptance, the rights belong to the employee.
- in case (a) the Rector´s Decision
- in case (b) the Faculty of Civil Engineering Dean´s Decision on the exercise of rights to a subject of industrial property (internal document).
- Method of protection
Filing an application with the Industrial Property Office (IPO) and the acceptance of the achievement to be administered by CTU is not
possible without a filled-in and successively signed notice.
- in case (b), the Commercialization Committee of the Faculty of Civil Engineering will decide on the protection method, which will successively
be applied in cooperation with patent representatives.
- in case (a), the achievement will be passed to the R-CTU patent representative, with whom you will further cooperate on the application.
- In the case that the achievement is filed with IPO by a patent representative from outside CTU, the authorization (proxy) for filing the application
for the patent representative will be signed by the Rector only. Please use a new form "Requests for Signature" for the Rector´s
- If there are more entities – applicants (apart from CTU) e.g. universities, research institutes, industrial enterprises, an agreement
is concluded with these entities (organizations) and originators (persons) to protect the achievements in the future.
The draft/conditions of the agreement can be laid out by the Faculty (what protection document will be used, who will use it and under what conditions,
protection financing or concluding a licence, shares in commercialization, protection abroad, etc.).
- The agreement draft is sent
Model agreements available on R&D websites can be used:
- in case (a) to TTD at firstname.lastname@example.org for a review to be signed by the Rector after its approval. TTD can be contacted for advice or assistance
in formulating conditions in agreements or concluding a Licence Agreement to prevent concluding a document under unfavourable conditions.
- in case (b) at: email@example.com
- Intellectual property protection is financed by the employee´s workplace (department). External originators always participate in the cost of protection.
In the case of international protection (mostly by the Patent Cooperation Treaty (PCT) or the European Patent), the CTU Licence Fund can be asked for support.